LiFT University Information
Contact LiFT University
Days, Time, Location Class Meetings
LiFT U meets Monday-Friday from 8:45am-3:15PM. The locations change throughout the week, but we will start by meeting at LiFT U, and travel as a class to different locations.
Purpose and Descriptions
The courses for LiFT U will reinforce the students' academic foundation and provide an integrated approach to achieve personal independence and growth with a focus on career development, life skills instruction, social skills development, community inclusion, and self-determination.
- A 2-inch Trapper Keeper type of Binder that zips or snaps closed; with pockets on the inside front and back cover. DO NOT get the type that has an accordion folder inside. The Trapper Keeper type of binder usually lasts longer than 1 year.
- One set of Two-pocket Insertable Tab divider - 8 per set.
- A 3 holed pencil pouch to go into the Trapper Keeper
- Paper hole self-adhesive reinforcements
- Personal laptop.
- Smart Phone.
- 3 packages of 50 sheet protectors.
- Sharpened pencils, pen, erasers (must bring 2 each day and keep in 3 hole pencil pouch.
- Pack of colored pencils-sharpened10.
- A calculator (may be on Smart Phone)
- One package index cards
- A Gmail account in student's name
- A bank account in student's name
- 1 inch 3 ring binder with 8 subject divider tabs
- Envelope folder
- One box of envelopes size 9 1/2 x 4 1/8
- Every Student MUST have a backpack
- 1 pair of Headphones labeled with Student Name
- 2 packs dry erase markers
- 3 reams of copier paper
- 2 packages of paper plates (not styrofoam)
- 4 canisters of Clorox type wipes-any brand
- 1 box of plastic forks
- 2 packages of napkins
- 2 box of tissues
- 1 bottle of hand sanitizer
- 1 roll of paper towels
Modes of Instruction
Courses are presented in a combination of direct instruction with hands-on learning and computer-assisted instruction. The heterogeneous model of these courses include but not limited to:
- Whole and small group instruction and activities, such as: discussion, lectures, guided learning groups, and learning centers
- Individualized and differentiated instruction
- Collaborative/Peer learning
- Project-based learning and presentation also to include interning and developing developing Café Leo (lunch program for LiFT Academy K-12)
- Use of technology in online and research-based learning
Students meet and participate in collaborative group activities, as well as work individually on assignments.
- Executive functioning
- Transportation Education
- Independent Living skills
- Social interactions & phone skills
- Appointment setting
- Personal Budgeting & Bill Paying
- Math fluency & Computation
- Current Events
- Selected literature
- Developing & carrying out business plan for Up-LiFTer’s Café to include
- Taking orders, shopping for supplies, and independently running Café Leo on a weekly basis
- Learning and understand business based vocabulary words
- Resume building
- Interviewing skills
- Community partner internship
Students receive a statement reporting their final grade at the end of each semester. Grading is based on:
- Completed assignments & projects that are turned in on time
- Class participation
- Quizzes & Tests
- Involvement in discussion and group activities
- Time spend on web-based classes also to include completed assignments
- Participation and effort with development of Up-LiFTer’s Café as well as working actively in all aspects of the Café
- Community partner internship